Friday, March 13, 2009

TGIF

TGIF, right?
I absolutely love fridays. it's not just because it's the end of the week and i'm off, with no school or work. it's because of all the preparations for shabbos and in anticipation of the weekend, which begins today.
i used to get up late on fridays because i didnt have to get up for school or work but then i realized it's so much nicer to wake up early and be available to help out my mom and do some preparations for shabbos. it gives me a sense of accomplishment.. like, look what I made! wow, i did that!
i think that is something i really enjoy- being able to accomplish something and look back at it, even years later, and be like, "wow! i really did something" or "i really made a difference" or "look what i went through and who/what i became." i think everyone gets that satisfaction from accomplishing something. especially if it took real effort on their part. 
i'm really excited for this shabbos! i've been tired all week. i haven't had a chance to catch up on my sleep because of purim and everything and it's been a busy couple of weeks. so i'm hoping i'll get a chance to get some zzzzzzs and enjoy the company that we're having :) it's gonna be fun!

now on a completely different subject:
i got a reference call for a shidduch for a friend of mine. this woman who called me knew no information about my friend, except her name (and i guess her references, cuz she had my number). so i told her to ask me questions (because that's the only way i'll talk about a girl... i hate it when people say, "so tell me about so-and-so..." and i'm like "um..... can you please ask me some specific questions?!") so what im really wondering is how did this woman get my friend's name and references. i mean, if she had the references then she probably would have her shidduch resume also and then all the other basic info would be on there too. except maybe she got the numbers from someone else, and why wouldn't that person share the resume with her?? anybody got a clue?

3 comments:

nmf #7 said...

Maybe the woman just had a name to go on, and she heard that you might be a friend of hers through some other place?
And, I totally agree- someone asking for shidduch information should ask specific questions, not general ones like, "So what is she like?"

itsagift said...

Well, this is what happens a lot of times with shidduch calls.
If I get a call like this and the person on the other line doesn't know A THING about the person she's calling about, I'll usually say: Do you want to hear about the girl first or about her family? Oh and I usually start off saying: (if it's a really good friend and someone I can say a lot about) "I am soo excited you called about X! She is such a/n _______ (adjective) girl and I love giving information about her!"
Then, I start talking about the girl or her family...if it's about the girl, it would be what school she went to, what she does now etc., some nice things about her - stories that show that she has a specific quality I am trying to stress...
If it's about the family, I will say what the parents do, how many children are in the family, what # she is etc...
The truth is that sometimes the questions are harder than just raving and saying nice things about someone. Sometimes you don't know what on earth the person means when she asks something. (If I don't understand the question, I will ask: can you please tell me what you mean by that?!) Cuz you can get the weirdest questions on earth...

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

"like, look what I made! wow, i did that!"

I know what you mean, that is a good feeling. I haven't been helping out a lot lately with shabbos or Pesach preparations because of school work, and I really wish I had the time to help.

"i hate it when people say, "so tell me about so-and-so..." and i'm like "um..... can you please ask me some specific questions?!""

Same by me, I hate general questions I don't know what to say. Not that anyone ever called me for a reference, but when people ask what I'm like I don't know what to say.

Actually we had a speech screening in college, and the lady asked me "Tell me about yourself" and I couldn't think of one thing to say! so they assigned me a speech class, which I was fine with, cause it wasn't so bad and I needed the credits. But really I had so much to say, if only she would of asked specific questions.

btw, weird word verification: bedings

How do you dream?

Which do you prefer?

What would you rather?

What's your favorite method of keeping in touch with friends?

Are you going to watch the Super Bowl today- and why?