Wednesday, February 18, 2009

We've got guests!

Reading NMF#7's Israel Chronicles got me thinking a little...
I really look up to my parents a lot! they're such amazing people B"H and some things they do are just amazing.
I came home from work today and there was this single woman from israel, probably in her 30s, eating supper at my kitchen table.  i had NO CLUE who she was and asked my mother a little later who she is. my mother told me that she's just someone who needed a place to stay for a few days or a few weeks or a few months and she's going to be staying with us! 
now my first reaction (not out loud) was: what? this woman is staying with us? why us? we don't know her.. for how long? etc etc. But after thinking about it for a little bit i've realized that this is not the first time this has happened and it won't be the last i'yH and this is a really great opportunity of chessed and hachnosas orchim! we've had a lot of different types of people stay by us over the years. whether it be foster children, or a spanish giyores for Pesach, or two kids in need of a home for winter vacation, my parents have opened up their/our home for them! and its something i really look up to them for, because i don't know if i could do that time and time again like they have. it really is something i would love to be able to say in one second when offered: "yeah! i would love to have you stay here!" with enthusiasm and love. but i don't think im at that stage yet. tho it's something im striving for... to open to all diff types of people, all the time. iy"H one day i''ll get there. 
but right now im really looking forward to getting to know our new guest and seeing what i can learn from the experience.

5 comments:

nmf #7 said...

Thanks for the link!
By the way- strangely enough, my parents do that type of thing all the time as well. We had this lady from Israel who stayed with us for almost 2 months- I still don't know her last name. But, she brought interesting Sephardi minhagim to our Pesach table!

itsagift said...

Wow! That is so special!
(somehow, the link didn't work - can you fix it please?)

corner point said...

Beautiful.

I had a "foster sister" of sorts for a few years when I was growing up. It was one of the most amazing things that happened to me... And my parents, like yours, have taught me so so much in the way they deal with guests.

Great post :-)

itsagift said...

The link is working - sorry, it was probably my computer.
Nice post nmf#7!

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

See I never had that, by us we never have guest, so I always wish people would stay by us. When people say they need a place, I wish I can say come to my house, but I can't cause it's not my decision. Or even just for a shabbos meal, guests make it so interesting, and everyone behaves.

I used to have dreams that my parents adopted another child or something. That may have come from reading "pinballs" I loved that book.

How do you dream?

Which do you prefer?

What would you rather?

What's your favorite method of keeping in touch with friends?

Are you going to watch the Super Bowl today- and why?