Saturday, February 28, 2009

surprise me!

what is it about surprises? some people love 'em and some people hate 'em.
a few friends and i surprised a friend today. it's almost her birthday and we decided to make her a party. so we planned something with her mother and we went over to her house at the planned time. guess what- she was sleeping!!! her sister went down to wake her up and she didnt want to get up! so we had to do what all good friends would do... wake her up! we went downstairs and came into her room singing HAPPY BIRTHDAY! boy, was she surprised! and she was like laughing and rubbing her eyes and totally not expecting it! it was so cute. but she wasnt upset at us for waking her up cuz it was worth it.
it was really nice just to shmooze (and eat and eat and eat)
reminds me of the surprise party we made for parents last year. their anniversary is in the summer so me and my siblings planned a surprise party for them on shabbos, cuz their anniversary came out on shabbos. i baked a lot and bought a lot of fruit. my mother didnt suspect anything. we invited a bunch of their friends and neighbors and set up dessert on our deck in the backyard. my parents had no clue! my brother sat on the front porch to tell all the guests to go around back. when it was time for dessert and all the guests were there, we told my parents to go out back, and then everyone yelled "surprise!" it was so nice cuz they were soooo surprised.. they had no idea we were planning anything! it was fun! here's a pic of the cake i made:

so any ideas on the whole psychology behind surprises?


14 comments:

Dude with hat (aka BTS) said...

I thinks these types of surprises are very cute although i haven't experienced any

tembow said...

Dude, we've gotta tell your friends to make you a surprise party!

Dude with hat (aka BTS) said...

nah, i'm ok. rather cover more surprises here - interesting to read!

G6 said...

Great cake!!
I love surprises and surprising too (not to mention parties).

tembow said...

thanks G6!

EsPes said...

faaaancy cake!!!

frumcollegegirl said...

i love parties and i love surprises but i hate surprise parties. unless it's a few people or my close friends. i dunno what it is, but in hs my sister invited my entire class over for a surprise party on shabbos. i walked in the door and everyone was crowded at the top of the steps yelling "surprise!" it was just awkward. i didn't know what do afterward...

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

ahh now that makes more sense, I was wondering before why 21 was special, now I realize it was a year ago, so it was 20 at that time, and that's a gorgeous cake you made! And amazing how you surprised them and everything, and I can imagine how it felt good for it to be a success.

And cool story with your friend, you must be really close with them for that to happen, lol

Also, one of my profs once told us how she hates surprises but yet she's the best at planning them.

and flash I just realized why Moshe calls everyone a dude! Because dude has that name and he's so used to calling him that. lol Tembow it was just really funny to see you say "Dude"! :-)

In the beginning as I was reading this I thought I never had a surprise like this, and it made me feel as though I missed out on something. Then I just remembered a time in HS when my friends surprised me and it was really nice and thoughtful and made me feel special, so I did have my share. People continue to make me feel good by saying nice things. But after school, I think I lost out on the close friend part.

tembow said...

JSB- what do you mean by the close friend part?

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

Tembow: I dunno I was just talking to myself.

Basically I don't really keep up with my HS friends cause we're not in school anymore, so I don't see them every day. So we may speak to each other every once in a while but thats it, although one friend said she wanted to get together to catch up and stuff, but its different now. It's like in HS we were able to be silly and stuff, but now she's married, and my mother friends are married too, none are still single, so they have responsibilities that come first. Plus they don't really have internet, so that makes it harder.

Dude with hat (aka BTS) said...

I just remembered that I actually had a surprise once. I felt so much embarrassed to stand in front of everyone... Almost noone knew what the event is going to happen in the shul and many people came. It started of me getting a personal Tfillin and then shul getting bunch of new books (if i remember correct those were full set of Arba Turim). I have no problem standing/performing in front of people but that time I felt too much embarrassed.

@Babysitter - did you refer to me saying he always call me dude? Moshe calls everyone dude and I'm not an excpetion.

The Child Inside said...

Dunno about surprises, some are good and some are just tasteless, but that is one fancy cake you made!

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

BTS: yea, I know he calls everyone Dude. But it's just funny that you chose that name, cause now other people are calling you "dude" so its not exclusively Moshe's term anymore.

Dude with hat (aka BTS) said...

Babysitter - but others don't call everyone 'Dude', but only me. He calls everyone. So it is still his exclusive but also used by others

How do you dream?

Which do you prefer?

What would you rather?

What's your favorite method of keeping in touch with friends?

Are you going to watch the Super Bowl today- and why?